We cannot pretend to know ourselves while ignoring the neurosciences.
Let’s have a look at what information about our body the neurosciences have provided us with in the recent years:
Our heart is intelligent.
The heart is thought to be capable of perceiving, memorizing, computing, sending and relaying information independently of our brain.

The most surprising discovery is from the neurosciences research performed the HeartMath institute in California. Based on this research, the heart is some kind of brain, an autonomous system composed of 40 000 neurons and of a complex network of neurotransmitters. A brain similar to a lab rat’s brain!
As a true energy center, the heart emits a magnetic field 60 times more powerful than the brain, perceptible more than 1 meter around our body.
In addition to its blood pump function the heart would be equipped with intelligent and emotional circuits, able to generate and send information to the brain.

Our grey matter would not be alone to intervene in our choice but also would not be alone to produce our emotions…

Researches from the HeartMath have demonstrated more than one link between the heart rhythm, the breath and a state of well-being of internal harmony. Even better they showed that by acting on our cardiac rhythm using breathing while creating positive thoughts, we can create a state of cardiac coherence which favors creativity, serenity, well-being and intuition. Cardiac coherence allow to improve our relationships with others, our concentration, our performances and results.

Those recent data in neurosciences link us to what we call “emotional intelligence”

What is emotional intelligence ?

Emotion is not something you will learn in school since you are born with the capacity to react the important event of life. However, we need to learn how to better use our emotions to become smarter in our relationships to emotions and their expression.

For Daniel Goleman, emotional intelligence is ” the capacity to regulate our emotions and the ones of others, to recognize and distinguish them and use those information to guide our thoughts and our actions.”

We thus search to develop a larger awareness of our emotions and an empathy for the emotions of others. But also recognize our own feelings and the feelings of other, to motivate ourselves and deal with the emotions in relationships with others.

Why develop this emotional intelligence ?

Research has shown that emotional intelligence played a role twice as much important than the intellectual intelligence and the technical skills in the achievement of exceptional performances.

We need more emotional intelligence in our lives! Even if it was largely more expressed in our private lives, it is crucial that the use of emotional intelligence takes more space in  our professional lives!
Several reasons: to communicate more efficiently and be more assertive with others, better understand and transform their emotions and motivations, work closer and more efficiently with members of their teams. These skills shape up team work, efficient collaboration and are key to leadership.

Emotions allow s to work more efficiently with others, because they create links and connections. Emotions are powerful and they can overwhelm us in their negative wave. Emotions can thus also create conflicts.

Making it even more important to be attentive to emotions, better understand them and the impact they have on us to be able to transform them and avoid being overwhelmed.

Un parameter to keep in mind is that we are not always conscious of the emotion’s trigger. Why? Because our subconscious take a huge place in our lives.

We compute about 2000 information/second consciously while computing 4 billions/second unconsciously.
Being conscious represents 17% of our brain while subconscious take the other 83%.
At the level of control/perception/behavior, our subconscious is also the winner with 95%.

Good news, our brain is not a rigid computer software but is rather constantly creating new connections. It is neuroplasticity meaning that little by little, the programming can be modified. When bringing a new approach to self and a new way of thinking. A change of paradigm…

Chinese philosophe Lao Tseu said:

« Your beliefs become your thoughts, your thoughts become your words, your words become your actions ».